To view the full minutes of the December 19th meeting, click on the link above. Highlights from the December meeting include:
- Stories of schools and PTAs "giving back" to the community.
- Sun and Moon Yoga school fundraiser opportunities.
- CPCI Fund update: Funds were recently allocated to six projects totaling $7,775. After these funds are allocated, there will be $5.00 remaining in the fund. CCPTA is seeking additional contributions this year so that more projects at more schools can be funded. A summary of projects funded and listing of contributions will be posted to this blogspot as soon as possible.
- APS 2017-18 budget shortfall of $22million. Much of the shortfall is attributed to enrollment growth expenditures; second-year initiatives such as the psychologist and social worker expansion effort and the continued expansion of Arlington Tech; compensation increases; and retirement and health insurance expenses. The public can submit comments and suggestions via email@example.com or https://budget.arlingtonva.us/fy-2018-budget-priorities-public-input/ on the APS website.
- Dr. Kristi Murphy provided information about the development of the school calendar. There will be a meeting January 12th at 7:00 p.m. in the Ed Center. Please come. There may be some significant differences in the calendar from years past, particularly as Arlington strives to align spring break with neighboring jurisdictions which may have received waivers to begin school prior to Labor Day.
- Lisa Stengle reported on the final high school boundary adjustment decision. Staff is currently gathering feedback about the process as they look toward the processes next year to revise all middle school boundaries and boundaries for all elementary schools in south Arlington. PTAs and principals should inform staff of the schedule for their schools' biggest events so that outreach and communication efforts can be made to reach the most people possible.
- Superintendent Murphy reported over 1000 entries for the MLK Jr. Visual Arts and Literary contest. An recognition event will take place on January 15th and the School Board will provide recognition to students at its January 19th meeting.
- Arlington Tech applications are due January 31st. An open house will be held on January 7th.
- FAC will meet January 4th at 7:00 p.m. to brainstorm options for consideration to provide 1300 new high school seats. The meeting is open to the public and currently scheduled to take place at the Columbia Pike Library, unless a larger room is needed.
- BAC is working to evaluate the implications of various instruction designs and facility options, as well as implications of the compensation and benefits study to inform decisions being made in those areas.
- An issue was recently raised regarding the proper use of PTA funds for teacher salaries or professional development. Linley Mancilla is attempting to schedule a webinar with the VA PTA for January. In the meantime, she provided a handout on “suggested use of PTA funds.” More clarification to come.
Next CCPTA meeting will be January 30th at 7:00 p.m. in the Ed Center. Happy holidays and a safe winter break to all. See you next year!